The Kaiser Field Hospital sits on Cutting Boulevard, a short distance from the shipyards and can be seen by taking the Marina Bay exit and continuing toward Richmond. The Field Hospital opened with only ten beds. Later additions increased its capacity to 160 beds by 1944.
It was the second tier of treatment (emergency treatment) for those injured at the yards with the first tier being a clinic on-site that administered first aid. If the patient needed serious care, he or she was taken to the Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. This health system and its availability on a pre-paid basis to workers for a nominal price, represented a visionary innovation at the time and laid the groundwork for the present day Kaiser Permanente health system. It operated as a Kaiser Permanente hospital until closing in 1995.